Sunday, March 29, 2015

A Found Rug


Despite a gray, cloudy sky, I successfully got in some walking yesterday and photographed 53 streets. Woo hoo! I think I'll almost finish NW9 by the end of the month. I need just one more good long day.

I found this beautiful rug on my walk. I think it's Indian. It was in a very Indian neighborhood, at any rate. No, I did not take it home.


The overall scene wasn't quite as nice.

Today my visiting friend David and I are off to Leicester to visit the Richard III Visitor's Center. (It's kind of funny there even is such a thing, isn't it?) The English -- some of them, anyway -- are gaga over the rediscovery of the body of their last Plantaganet king, and have reinterred him with all sorts of solemnity and pomp. Crowds of people lined the streets to see his coffin brought to the cathedral where he is now entombed. A king who died more than 500 years ago, and who by many accounts was a child-kiling tyrant.

Should be an interesting outing!

8 comments:

e said...

Can't wait to hear about that...Love the colors in the rug.

Sharon said...

I've been hearing about the Richard III discovery and reburial. I can't wait to hear about your visit.

Ms. Moon said...

I would have brought the rug home, washed it, used it.

Linda Sue said...

There, also, was a basket in which to carry the rug...but I understand, it was meant for another person to stumble upon and take. Listening to radio re: people and their emotional responses to Richard, I really almost got a "feels" from it...some say that he was not reported fairly or honestly in historical accounts and that he was a very good man...who knows, who really cares.. a funeral is always an event to ponder, an opportunity to reflect, I suppose, even after 500 years.

The Bug said...

Ooh love the orange! It would clash ferociously in my house, but I wish it wouldn't (I love primary colors, even though we've somehow ended up with a different type of look entirely).

Did I already tell you about my friend who read the book written by the woman who found Richard III's bones? She seems a little off the deep end... But it's all very exciting!

Lynne said...

I am really glad you resisted the temptation to bring that rug home with you.

:)

Elizabeth said...

I'm looking forward to those photos! And that "rug" also looked like a Kantha -- so beautiful and such a shame that it wasn't salvageable.

Steve Reed said...

E: Me too, though not exactly my color scheme!

Sharon: Stay tuned!

Ms Moon: I thought about it! But who knows what it looks like when it's unrolled.

Linda Sue: Yes! A useful basket!

Bug: Yeah, it would clash here, too. :) I saw that book and a lot of info about that woman while I was in Leicester.

Lynne: It wasn't easy!

Elizabeth: What is a "kantha"? I have to look that up...